After a few weeks of chatter about where the Hornets All-Star point guard may be headed- whether it was New York or Orlando or even Los Angeles, the message coming from New Orleans is that Chris Paul will be staying put. On Monday, the Hornets team officials, including first-year general manager, Dell Demps, and first-year head coach, Monty Williams, sat down with Paul to lie to rest rumors circulating about Paul's desire to win and thus, be traded to a contender.
In his front office meeting, Paul said, "I expressed my desire to win and I like what they said about the direction that they want to take the team. I have been a Hornet my entire career and I hope to represent the city of New Orleans and state of Louisiana for many years to come." Now that sounds like things were settled a bit in the meeting on Monday. Not even a month later after Paul said earlier this month that he would welcome a trade if the Hornets did not support him with an adequate supporting cast that could compete, he is seemingly retracting his previous statements to build a contender in New Orleans. The only acquisitions made by New Orleans to date this off-season have been the drafting of rookies Craig Brackins and Quincy Pondexter and re-signing of career back-up, Aaron Gray.
New Orleans finished 37-45 last season, 11th in the Western Conference, just one year after winning 49 games in 2008-09. Paul, the 25-year old guard, averaged a double-double, 18.7 points and 10.7 assists, for the third year in a row. After leading the NBA in assists per game in 2007-08, and 2008-09, he finished second this past season.